Post by DM Hawk on Dec 10, 2018 14:00:37 GMT -5
FRC Character Language Rules
The following rules apply to the languages known by a character on FRC.
1. Reading and Writing - All Player Characters can read and write any language they know except:
- If their Intelligence Score is less than 10.
- If they are a Barbarian. (sorry)
- Barbarians may learn to read and write through roleplay.
2. Common - All FRC Player Characters begin knowing Common, the universal tongue of the Forgotten Realms surface world.
3. Free Starting Languages - New FRC Player Characters gain additional free starting languages for race or region when leaving the Cormyr Border Outpost starting area.
4. Bonus Languages based on Intelligence Modifier - Characters with an Intelligence greater than 10 gain additional language slots equal to their Base Intelligence Modifier.
- When leaving the Cormyr Border Outpost starting area on FRC a player character may select a number of bonus languages up to their starting Base Intelligence Modifier or leave their language slots vacant to be filled later through roleplay. See rule below.
- If a character's base Intelligence Modifier increases, new language slots are gained but the character does not automatically learn a new language. A new language may be learned for each vacant language slot if desired through roleplay. See rule below.
5. Bonus Languages based on Speak Language Value - A character's Speak Language Value (SLV) score may provide additional bonus language slots, according to the following formula:
Character permanent Lore Skill Points including points from Feats, Racial Abilities, and Class Abilities but not from Items
Subtract Intelligence modifier to the Lore Skill if positive
Add Red Dragon Disciple Levels
Equals Speak Language Value
(Character Permanent Lore Skill Points (excluding items) - Positive Intelligence Modifier + RDD Levels = Speak Language Value)
- Once the Speak Language Value is determined, the amount of bonus language slots provided can be found by dividing the SLV by 10 and rounding down. For example, a character with an SLV of 27 would benefit from two bonus language slots as follows: 27 / 10 = 2.7, rounded down to 2.
- A character gaining SLV bonus language slots does not automatically learn a new language. A new language may be learned for each vacant language slot if desired through roleplay. See rule below.
- The Speak Language Value method is also known as the Munroe Method.
6. New Languages Learned through Roleplay - Once a character leaves the Cormyr Border Outpost starting area they may learn new languages for bonus language slots through roleplay. To roleplay learning a new language a character should:
- Identify a source by which to learn the new language, usually another player character.
- Get agreement from the other character to teach the language in game.
- Notify DM Munroe or another member of the DM Team of your intent to begin roleplaying the study of a new language.
- Keep the DM informed as you roleplay the study in game over time. When the DM feels the roleplay is sufficient, the new language will be awarded.
Please ask a DM if there are any questions about FRC Character Language Rules or share your question in the DM Q&A section here:
The FRC Staff