Post by DM Hawk on Dec 8, 2018 21:44:44 GMT -5
FRC Disguise Rules
Disguised characters have an opportunity to contribute to the intrigue and roleplay of FRC. To help keep Character Disguise encounters fun and fair for everyone on FRC the following rules apply.
1. Disguise Criteria must be met - It's always a good idea to notify the DM channel when wearing a disguise. For a character to be disguised the following must be done at a minimum:
- Cover one's head and face with a hood, helmet, mask, or utilize an Illusion item.
- Wear clothing or armor not commonly worn when the character is not disguised. Don't just dye your armor a different color.
- Avoid speaking or behaving with the character's natural mannerisms.
- Avoid brandishing signature weapon or item by the character.
2. Disguises meeting Criteria should be accepted - If the above criteria are met, the character is considered in disguise. A disguise is considered to be successful unless there is a reason for skepticism.
3. A Disguise Check is required when skepticism is valid - A character who has cause to suspect a disguise is in place may ask for a Disguise Check Roll. Please ask for this roll in private Tells whenever possible but make the rolls public to be seen. It is always a good idea to notify the DM channel when challenging a disguise. Examples where a disguised character may cause others to doubt the disguise include but aren't limited to:
- Behaving as they would when not in disguise, including standing in the same place, having the same posture, etc.
- Behaving abnormally, calling attention to oneself.
- Associating with or aiding characters known to associate with the Disguised Character when not in disguise.
- Verbally or physically acting against those who would be an enemy of the character in the open.
- Casting Spells, Using Magic Items, Using Special abilities or feats known to be used by the disguised character.
4. Disguises can be automatically busted - A disguise is automatically busted when:
- Head covering or Illusion item is removed.
- Clothing or Armor distinctive to the character is worn.
- Speaking in normal voice, accent, or mannerisms.
- Disguised Character admits his identity.
- Disguised Character exhibits knowledge having limited in circulation but which the character would know.
- Brandishing a signature weapon or item.
5. Disguise Checks - The following guidelines will determine the outcome of a Disguise Check when required:
- Disguised Characters normally roll Bluff. Those having Perform may substitute this skill. Clerics with the Trickery Domain may use the Persuade Skill.
- Skeptical Characters challenging the disguise may roll Spot if they are seeing something to give doubt or Listen if they are hearing something to give doubt.
- If the disguise roll is higher or ties the challenging roll, the Disguise is upheld. If the challenging roll is higher than the disguise roll, the disguise is busted.
Please ask a DM if there are any questions about FRC Disguise Rules or share your question in the DM Q&A section here:
Remember to use common sense and keep the spirit of FRC in mind when interacting with fellow players. The Golden Rule of FRC is to have fun but not at the expense of others.
The FRC Staff